Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Getting Green: Recycling #1, Seriously

We attempted recycling in the past, but everything was confusing and frustrating.  I recycled our cans, and bottles with #1 & #2 Pete, and we had a little small tote bin sized recycling bin, that was collected every other week. I didn’t really see it as a great benefit, it wasn’t removing a lot from our garbage weekly.  And because it wasn’t collected on the same day as our regular trash, I kept forgetting to get it out to the road.
Our waste management company has a no sorting program.  Seems simple enough, but unless you really take the time and pay attention to everything that they process, you won’t truly see the benefits.   I thought that if I did look into what they took, that I would be more frustrated for seeing what they do not take.  Well I couldn’t have been more wrong.
As I said before in “Getting Green:  Composting #1, The Bin”, we were trying to cut back on how much waste we were sending out each week. We have a few out buildings, that are full of things from the prior owner, that I cannot afford to dispose of.  I thought if we reduced our weekly waste, we could use that money for disposing of the other stuff. 
We had been composting for about 3 weeks and recycling everything we could possibly recycle, and again I missed the recycling truck day.  Ugh!  I called the company and asked for a larger bin, the area where we keep the recycling bin was getting dangerously full.  When I was speaking to the lady I told her that since we started composting and now “really recycling” we hardly have any garbage to go out. 
She was able to change our plan so now we are paying 1/2 the price that we used to.  Wow that's $35.00 a month that we can use towards getting rid of all the old TVs, furniture and junk in the out buildings.  Plus she said she would upgrade our recycle bin to the large one that they have.  Its about a 120 gallon sized can now!  I was able to get everything into it that was starting to collect!  Smile
So not only are we saving money, and helping the planet, but now we are saving our little corner of the world too.  Just by starting a compost bin, the wheel started turning and it kind of took on a life of its own.  Lol!   I am not complaining.
In my next post, I will tell you about what I learned about our waste company, and the bigger benefits that lie ahead for us.  I would love to hear your thoughts on composting and recycling.  Till tomorrow, everyone have a safe and wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment