Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer has arrived, and planning interesting activities has begun.

My children decided to stay home with me again this summer, so that means planning activities and making sure the boredom doesn’t kill us all.  We have already went to the Adirondack Museum, and to the beach a few times, but honestly that alone will not tide us over.  We are heading out on a 4 day camping trip starting Thursday.  We have made it a routine to check the newspaper for upcoming events so we won’t miss out on some wonderful opportunities.

Filling our days with interesting things can be burdensome but if you get the kids involved it will lighten the load.  The kids want to live at the beach, but I cannot tolerate the crowds or the hot sun (I am just recovering from a bad sun burn….  LOL!).  A compromise was in order, we will go to the beach on the nice days, but it will need to be after 3pm so we can avoid the crowds and the bad UV ray times.

I will be hunting online for new and fun activities for the kids to do, I cannot wait to get started.  If you have a game plan, and keep a routine in which the kids help with the housework, the planning, and the packing for these events, it not only teaches your children great needed skills, it gives them the freedom to have a say in what is their “vacation”. 

I am grateful for the time I have with them and am very blessed to be home to spend time with them (plus they chose to stay here with me for the summer, which is awesome as well).  All in all, when I start to feel overwhelmed by the whole situation I can stop and realize that I wouldn’t trade this position I am in for anything in this world.  Remembering last summer and how much fun we all had will keep me (hopefully) from going out of my mind.  I know that in my past posts, I have sounded well organized a collected, but I lose my grip on sanity more than I prefer to let on.  I am far from perfect, but the awesome thing is I don’t choose to be perfect so its really hard to fail with that attitude.

I hope everyone enjoys their summer!  Check back to find more ideas to keep your kids busy this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment